A few weeks ago, I wrote a post about one of our renovations projects, a bedside chest of drawers that we repainted in three pastel shades. This time the renovation project is a set of kitchen shelves that look rather tired and worn. The shelves were made up several years ago from one of those self assembly kits from B&Q. I always meant to either paint or varnish them but never quite got around to it. The shelves have moved house a few times as well as acquiring various marks, so I thought it was finally time to apply a little attention with a paintbrush.
We browsed the paint selection in Homebase once more, having again decided to play around with a multi-colour finish. The idea was to choose three colours with a warm, Mediterranean feel that we could later pick up in other pieces in the kitchen. We have another larger shelf unit of similar vintage and a table and chairs that might benefit from an overhaul in the future. Without being too ‘matchy matchy’ about it, I think it would be possible to link these items together in a coherent way. Well, that’s our design theory anyway, let’s see what we can come up with over the next few months. After much humming and hawing we plumped for the shades shown here (match pot sizes) in a matt emulsion. We chose Moroccan Red, Zest and Village Green. The names alone sounded quite evocative, but that’s us falling for cynical marketing ploys I suppose.
This project was slated to be started right at the beginning of the school holidays but somehow it got pushed further and further back until it was no longer really even summer. Thus, one fine morning last week I cleared the pots and pans off the unit in a determined fashion and took it into the back garden for a scrub and sand down. The wood has never been painted or varnished and the surface is quite smooth so I didn’t really need to do too much preparation on the shelves. Fortunately I didn’t have any filling to do either, only a certain amount of residue from some stickers to remove.
As before, I decided to give a base or undercoat to the wood before I started applying the colours. I haven’t used a specific primer, just a white matt emulsion to give a good surface to work on later. So far, I’ve only put one coat of white paint on, but I might do one more before starting on the colours. I’m undecided about how much grain I want showing through on the finished surface. As I don’t want a surface that looks too ‘finished’ I may end up leaving it at one base coat. Fortunately the weather held long enough for the scrubbing, sanding and painting process in the garden and I returned the shelves to the kitchen in the short-term.
For now, the saucepans are back in place until I earmark another day in the weekly routine to complete the next stage. If the dry weather holds, the Curiously, Creatively team may be in paint-a-thon mode at the weekend in a bid to get the task completed. That is, unless we get distracted by another activity. There are lots of jobs that need doing in the garden at the moment! But, for now here’s the stage I’m at: one partly finished piece of kitchen furniture which already looks brighter and fresher than it did before.
As I’ve said before, any painting tips are more than welcome as we’re working in an experimental, see what works, see what effects we can obtain, sort of way.